An online blog is one of the most valuable tools that businesses have to engage with customers because it gives your company a voice.
A blog creates a place to talk about new products or services, comment on timely news topics or market trends, and share company initiatives beyond your website.
It’s also the place to let your brand’s personality shine and show people what you’re all about.
Most blogs utilise a simple platform that makes it easy to share timely and relevant information with your customers.
Content you create for your blog is also a great information source for you to share through other mediums, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, email newsletters and ebooks, etc.
How can a blog help my business?
- A blog creates a two-way conversation with customers, prospects and industry peers. It encourages interaction, comments and feedback.
- A blog can also help build confidence in your business, relationships and sales.
If customers look to you as a reliable resource for information on your industry, then they’ll likely come to you to buy.
- Writing a blog shares your expertise with the world. It allows you to position yourself as an expert and thought leader.
- Business bloggers are often interviewed by journalists as industry experts.
- You can tell your brand’s story.
Your blog is also a great place to offer more insight into your company, your philosophy, your employees, and your ideas. Tell your customers why you’re in business and how you can help them.
It’s a place where you find your customers, feed them information, and position your value.
How will a blog help my search rankings?
- Search engines are smart. Shortly after you start a blog, the search engine bots will come calling and put your written content through their algorithms.
- Your blog receives a higher grade if you use proper grammar and spelling, and if website visitors like, share, or comment on your articles.
- Search engines love valuable and new, freshly produced content. They will reward you for it in the search engine rankings.
- Search engines engines also look for important keywords that searchers are looking for. If found on your blog, your website is more likely to appear higher in the search engine result pages.
Tips for blogging
How often should I blog?
Blogging is like exercise, and the best exercise is the one that you’ll actually do. Our best advice is to do it when you can, and when you will.
The more you write, the easier it will become.
What should I write about?
Give out content that is original, factual, unique, of high quality, interesting, and above all, relevant to what your readers want.
That can be a lot to focus on, so start with offering relevant content that is engaging and well written.
Start with writing content about:
- your business
- your customers
- your products
- your success
- your failures
- your lessons learned
Once you get started you will find that new content often creates itself.
Can you outsource the writing?
Yes, you can have professional bloggers do your writing for you. And, yes, you can pay them to invent content that would appeal to your readership. That process falls under content marketing and we can help with this if you need.
Making the most of your blog
In a perfect world, you want to blog more frequently than your competitors, and you want to have more articles on your blog than your competitors have. This way, the search engines will see that your website is more active and robust than your competitors’ sites.
Plus, more blog articles means there are that many more chances for your website to be discovered when people run Google searches. That’s what we’re in this business for, after all – getting your business noticed!
Starting a blog may scare you a little if you are not sure what to write about or how often to post or even how to go about it. Feel free to get in touch with us for help in understanding how starting a blog can help with your online marketing strategy.